Public Stakeholder Meeting on Monday, February 25, at 10:00 a.m.

Regarding Licensure by Endorsement

The Colorado Office of Barber and Cosmetology is considering adopting Permanent Rule 4, which replaces Emergency Rule 4.  Proposed Rule 4 would allow applicants to use a combination of training hours and documented work experience to meet Colorado's licensure by endorsement requirements. In the past, work experience was not considered in place of training hours. This rule makes licensure by endorsement easier for practitioners with work experience. This change impacts barbers, cosmetologists, hairstylists, nail technicians, and estheticians. The rule requires a minimum of 65% of requisite training hours be completed but allows the remaining 35% to be illustrated through work experience. The work experience is calculated based on 500 hours of work being equal to 100 hours of training. The Massage Therapy Department promulgated a similar rule for licensure by endorsement that has made the licensure process more inclusive. We are in support of this proposed rule.

On Monday, February 25, at 10:00 a.m. there will be a stakeholder meeting regarding the proposed rule change. You can find more information about the stakeholder meeting and proposed Permanent Rule 4 here: Stakeholder Meeting 2/25/2019.

There are three ways to participate in this meeting:

  1. In Person: Civic Center Plaza, 1560 Broadway, Room 1250C, Denver, CO 80202
  2. By Webinar: Register here.
  3. By Written Comment: Provide written comments in advance of the meeting. The deadline for receiving comments is Monday, February 25, 2019, at 5 p.m. Please email comments to

If you provide written comments to DORA, please also share those with us at

Please note: We have recently updated our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Learn more...