The California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (Board) adopted new rules to the California Code of Regulations that change the instructional materials Board-approved schools must provide to students. The new rules will go into effect January 1, 2023. ASCP has summarized the rule changes for you below.
- Previously, all textbooks had to be approved by the National Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology (NIC). This requirement has been removed.
- Schools must now provide a current version of the licensing exam translation guides to students who intend to take exams in one of the non-English languages offered by the Board.
- Board-approved schools must provide students enrolled in cosmetology, barbering, electrology, esthetics, and manicuring courses the following materials:
- At least one textbook relevant to the course of instruction the student is enrolled in
- A current version of the California Barbering and Cosmetology Act
- A current copy of the barbering and cosmetology regulations
Effective date: January 1, 2023.
- Log in to post comments